Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Slovenia (only non-U2 stop)

WEDNESDAY 8/12: Breakfast. 11:00a bus to Postojnska Jama, the largest cave in Europe! Have lunch and beer at a cafe there afterward. Go to bus station and see we have a half hour wait. Decide to get ice cream but when we walk in the shop a very young boy tries to pickpocket me! Very shocked, I turn around at him and ask him what he is doing. He looks guilty but I can tell he does not speak English. Nick is not aware of what's going on so I follow Nick to the ice cream freezer. I turn to the boy and sternly say, "Don't do that, ever again" whether he can understand me or not. Then I catch the eye of the man behind the counter who might be his father, who also looks guilty. I decide I am not patronizing their store. I say out loud, "I'm outta here" and I walk out in a huff.

Bus home. Go on the Internet for a few hours. Nick naps. Go out but instead of eating we decide to take a break from each other. I go back to the room, get his camera, walk back and take like 50 pictures of the river at night! I go to bed by 11:30p alone in room. Nick uses Internet in lobby until about 1:00a.

TUESDAY 8/11
: Breakfast. Have to ask for the champagne to be opened, again. Decide to rest and take the 1:00p train from Zagreb, Croatia to Ljubljana, Slovenia. Have trouble finding seats but a nice older couple let us have the extra one in their cabin. Nick stands for the first hour and I stand for the second. I sooooo enjoy sticking my head out the window and watching the countryside as we train, sometimes fast, sometimes slowly, through a lush valley with a super cute house here and there. Sometimes the sun is beaming on my face and sometimes there are interesting cloud shadows on the beautiful mountains. In Nick's words in an email to our parents, ". . . passing through gorgeous open fields dotted with well-kept, freshly painted homes with bright red roofs, then continued via a deep gorge as a rainstorm pelted us with refreshing water as I chatted with a retired British school teacher from Dorset who had just come from Romania where he and his spouse helped set up a foster home for all the poor orphans there."

Drinks and dinner at a restaurant called The River on the river. Internet time. I'm to bed around midnight, Nick 1:00a.

No comments: