Wednesday, June 8, 2011

OAKLAND

(read from the bottom up!) MY 75th SHOW!

TUESDAY 6/7: Nick asks everyone to check in by 6a sharp. Since there are two gates (A & B) we divide the line into two. I choose B for Bono/bRono. The stadium officials open the overpass gate at 7a and lead either line down to the official gates. (Doors do not open until 5p.) An NBC News crew shows up. I tell them that my ex started the line and lead them to him, but Nick is too busy organizing the line so they ask to interview me. After the interview I realized it was LIVE! Later they have no more live feed but videotape Nick. During his interview they say to him, "U2 must be something to bring you and your ex together today." LOL!

Luckily we had Nick's chairs. He and I split one of those Nature Valley granola bars that we lived on in Europe 2009. Matilde shared some hot coffee and a blanket. Others shared beer and food. Arlette made me a sign that read, "My 75th show, Bronwyn 'Brono'" and a few fans took pix of me when they saw it. Left the line plenty of times to use the restrooms and walk around to visit the other line. Even waited a bit for the band to arrive but it got too late so we had to give up.

At one point Nick was going back to his truck and asked if I needed to store anything. I had a backpack with my "U2: a Celebration" cloth in it so I said no. Shortly after I found out they were not allowing large backpacks inside, so I had to hike to Nick's truck by myself but it was fun. A guy hit on me on my way to the car but I told him I still had feelings for my ex who would be with me at the show, LOL!

Stadium personnel doled out the GA wristbands at 4p. Claudia visited the line and wanted to give me a drink and take a picture but it was too crowded and security wouldn't allow her to visit me. Gates opened at 5p basically without a hitch and we were allowed to run (at first). Someone yelled "Go Nick!" since he was running so fast and made it inside the circle first! I wasn't too far behind but I swear security always picks on females to slow down and/or not run. Luckily, Nick and Fernando saved me a spot in between them--I was literally dead center in the front row...at my hometown show, WOW!

All day we had worried about the other gate getting in before us, although Alli W was first in line at Gate A. Crazily, security had the wristbands mixed up and thought the GA ones were for Red Zone and wouldn't let fans in at first! However, one fan from Red Zone got in and other fans, including our friend Voicheck from Poland, were mad. But security let the RZ fan stay. This tension combined with intense excitement over my spot got me teary-eyed.

Lenny Kravitz opened! (Luckily the big block in front of him got moved before U2 was on). VIDEO

U2 OAK
(Brono #75, Nick #59--jumped up from Pasadena's count since he saw shows in summer 2010 and spring 2011)

Our Polish friend Wojtek (sounds like Voicheck) was in the right spot after all. Right behind me mind you. He had a sign that read, "Bono I flew 20h to be on stage with U2" and Bono brought him on stage! VIDEO

And here is a prelude to Streets. Makes me cry spontaneously! VIDEO

Bono has sung to me before, but this time it was extra special. Because it was a local show a few friends who were NOT in the circle noticed he was singing to front row center and without even knowing I was in that spot assumed that he was singing to me! Bono was so enrapturing that I am not even positive what song it was but I think it was Magnificent! I joked that he probably just likes reading my lips instead of relying on the teleprompter, ha!

I had some amazing moments at the Oakland show. But something happened where I had no sense of time. When they played Moment of Surrender (which I know damn well is their finale) I forgot it was their finale and was totally shocked when the show was over. I kept thinking they must have another encore but knew they didn't it. I guess I had a better time than I thought or maybe I felt let down a tad after waiting for two years plus 2.5 days in line. Now I'm planning on the New Jersey show 7/20 for my last on this tour!

MONDAY 6/6: Another mutual U2 friend, Brad Dier, took the 5a-1p shift today. My friend, Lori Saltveit, (among others) had signed up on 6/5. As everyone signing up Sunday had to check in again on Monday, Lori offered to keep Brad company starting around 10a and stay until 4p. Before she went she had me text Brad what he might like from Subway. Lori kindly bought him a breakfast sandwich, me a lunch sandwich, as well as something for herself plus a spare sandwich for someone else! I didn't have to do a shift this day, but I did have to check in so I decided I would go over after I reached a law firm about scheduling an interview. Luckily I scheduled the interview for the day after the concert at 2p. I made it back to the line by 12:30p and stayed until 6:00p. My face got a little red today from ULTRAVIOLET light.

SUNDAY 6/5: Before he drove to work, Nick drove our mutual U2 friend Fernando (aka Fer) to Glide Memorial Church (just 3 blocks from my place). I met Fer there at 8:15a. We were hoping U2 had taken a runner from the Seattle show the night before so Bono could attend his favorite church in the world. For the 9a service, we sat in the third row on the right, across from a few roped rows on the left. We saved a seat for Fer's friend, Arlette. No Bono. At 10:15 we went outside and found Arlette, who saw us but sat further back because she was late. We went to Starbuck's and returned for the 11a service. We had to finish our coffees before entering the main room, so the front-center rows were taken. We decided to sit in one of the front left rows on the side. Still no Bono, but we all agreed that the services were very entertaining, including some Lady Gaga music.

As we were waiting to exit the church, Nick called me and said he had a chance during work to go to the Oakland Coliseum and start the GA line. We needed to take over. So right away we walked to BART. The Dublin/Fremont lines weren't running out of SF so we took the Pleasanton BART, transferring to the Fremont line at 12th Street. Finally we got to the stadium around 1:00. We signed in on Nick's GA line list. Nick 1, Fer 2, Arlette 3, and me 4. Arlette and I offered to do the first shift, 1-9p. Fer went back to the city and Nick back to work, but they returned to do the 9p(Sun)-5a(Mon) shift.

PRE-SHOW VIDEO!

2 comments:

Anchoup said...

Such a great time! thank you for sharing the experience :-)

Brono said...

My pleasure. Thanks for reading it. Were you there?