Friday, October 30, 2009

PASADENA


Please remember to scroll down within each entry (city) and read in REVERSE chron order. In the photo with me is Cathal, author of Me & U2.

SUNDAY 10/25: As many times before, we had aimed to be at the venue early but decided it wasn't that important and decided to take our time. We had the complimentary continental breakfast at the hotel and then did a little shopping to prepare for being in line all day. My friend Dana was already at the venue, thinking I would already be there, and texted me that there was only one couple in the Red Zone 1 line. Nick and I had Red Zone 2 tickets (Adam side). We were thrilled to find NO LINE ON THE HORIZON for our line--so happy to be the first ones. And no one showed up for at least an hour. We found some shade, and blew up our air mattress. I read my book for awhile while Nick checked out the General Admission line.

Then a couple, Eden & Mike, joined us in line. They were kind enough to allow me and Nick to wander around so Nick took me to see the GA line. The line was long and thick, fans nicely spread out on grass with their lounge chairs and coolers. Met up with Dana, Natalie, Brad, and recognized other friends. Back in our Red Zone line Kevin (Nick's best friend) and his girlfriend Larissa who has the EXACT same birthday (1/25/69) as me(!) visited us. It was such a BEAUTIFUL DAY weather wise and Kevin brought me a Corona. At around 4pm, we decided to pack up and start the actual line at the gate. We were irritated with the repetitious announcements coming from the stadium and also watching countless fans walk up to security asking where to go and them telling them NOT to get in our line but to get in the GA line to the left of us. Nick video'd the line a bit. At one point the crowd of fans right behind us cheered for him. The scanner lady behind one of the gates seemed more excited than us. But would you believe, the guy scanning our tickets...his scanner wasn't working. Luckily Eden & Mike got through the gate on time and were kind enough to save us spots in the front row corner of the Red Zone. They offered us spots 1 & 2 but we refused, so we were 3 & 4 from the corner. Nick went to buy me a beer and I was getting a bunch of texts from friends. At one point I slammed down my hands on the rail and said loudly, "I LOVE THIS SHIT!!"

I had a shirt made (see Photos below) that has the U2 lyric "women of the future hold the big revelations" on the chest with a big "U2" on the stomach. I was going to change into it during Get On Your Boots, but I decided I liked the lacy top I was wearing and instead I put the U2 shirt over the rail just so the U2 showed! And during songs I held the shirt up and out over the rail. During I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, I was holding it out as Adam was walking by on the catwalk. Nick screamed Adam's name until he got his attention. Then Adam just stood there right in front of me, smiling and being his flirtatious self. I was jumping up and down! Nick took my fly shades off my face for me, and this just added to the little flame going on with Adam. How I wish that part would show up on the DVD. You can see my purple shirt hanging in the air (lower left of screen) in this VIDEO at the 2:00 minute mark.

As we were walking out of the Red Zone, Nick spotted Stacey and Lisa, so we got to say hi to them. Then Nick and I decided to sit and talk in the rental car while the crazy traffic in the parking lot subsided. We didn't turn on the engine until 1am! So much for Adamesque's after-party in downtown LA.

When we got back to the hotel room, we watched a little of the webcast. But we were too tired to watch it all. We flew out of LA the next day, Mon 10/26, at 1:10p. Nick was nice enough to drive me (without me even asking) from SFO to JFK in Berkeley so I could participate in the Public Interest Certificate Ceremony.

U2 LA (the last U.S. show on this leg)
(Brono #74, Nick #45)
PHOTOS
VIDEO (short due to concert being professionally filmed)
WEBCAST (I think the full webcast is down now; if someone finds it again please let me know. Update 3/20: DVD announced! More info to come.)

SATURDAY 10/24: We flew out of Vegas at noon. Got another rental car and drove about an hour to Pasadena. We decided to check out the Rose Bowl before going to our hotel. We found friends (Alli & Brad) in line, of course. Word was that the line had started since the day before the Vegas show but no one was allowed to spend the night and as a result the line order was getting shuffled a lot. We were happy to find that will-call was open so we got our concert tickets a day early plus a parking pass so we wouldn't have to deal with any of that the next day. Then we checked into the Comfort Inn. We considered seeing Echo & The Bunnymen accompanied by an orchestra in concert but decided it was better not to drive back and forth to downtown LA (an hour each way) and risk staying up too late since we were aiming to be at the venue by 8am. Instead we took a Jacuzzi. Nick briefly met a lady to whom he sold extra tickets, and then the two of us just relaxed in the room with the door open since the weather was so nice.

No comments: